Home / Insights / How to Contest a Guardianship or Conservatorship

How to Contest a Guardianship or Conservatorship

December 12, 2022

When an individual cannot care for themselves or their affairs, it may become necessary to have someone else take on that role to protect the person. A guardian or conservator (the term used depends on the state where the person lives) is a person appointed by a court to manage personal and/or financial decisions on behalf of another individual who lacks the capacity to do so, referred to as an incapacitated person. Courts do not readily grant guardianships, and only a court has the authority to remove a guardian once one is appointed. As a result, if you want to contest guardianship or conservatorship, either before or after it is granted, you must go to court to prove your case.

When Is a Guardian or Conservator Appointed?

Only a court can appoint a guardian or conservator, and only upon application.  An interested person must petition the court to appoint a guardian or conservator for an incapacitated person. Usually, the petitioner is a family member or close friend but may be an administrator of a medical or residential care facility. 

Generally, adults have the right to make their own decisions. Therefore, the interested party must prove that the allegedly incapacitated person’s condition requires the appointment of a guardian or conservator. Typically, a hearing will be held where evidence will be presented to the court regarding the allegedly incapacitated person’s inability to care for themselves and make decisions. 

Importantly, if the court agrees that the individual is incapacitated, the court will also determine the least restrictive means required to protect the incapacitated person and may restrict the scope of authority granted to a guardian or conservator. This is done in consideration of the fact that giving any authority to a guardian or conservator, even for only limited decisions, takes away the incapacitated person’s autonomy. Accordingly, the courts will look to alternative sources of authority that might meet the needs of the incapacitated person, such as Powers of Attorney, Advance Medical Directives, and other options such as a representative payee for Social Security benefits. 

Who Can Object to Guardianship or Conservatorship?

Interested parties can contest the appointment of a guardian or conservator if they believe it is not appropriate or necessary. They may also object to the specific guardian proposed to be appointed. Under the law, an interested party includes:

  • The petitioner, who as stated above is usually someone with a close relationship to the incapacitated person
  • The incapacitated person
  • Other interested parties, such as spouses, relatives, friends, etc.

Notably, the incapacitated person can provide testimony regarding whether they consent or object to the guardianship or proposed guardian.

When Can You Remove a Guardian or Conservator?

The most common reasons for seeking to remove a guardian or conservator are because:

  • The incapacitated person’s condition has improved so there is no longer a need for a guardian or conservator
  • The guardian or conservator is acting inappropriately or failing to act to the detriment of the incapacitated person (e.g., the guardian misappropriated funds, failed to act for the welfare of the incapacitated person, etc.)
  • Another person has been identified who is more suitable to be appointed as guardian or conservator.

How Does a Guardian or Conservator Get Removed?

A guardian or conservator cannot be removed without a court order. The process for seeking removal is similar to the one used to get a guardian or conservator appointed initially. An interested party must bring a new petition to the court to have a guardian or conservator removed. Evidence must be presented as to why the person should be removed. The court will then make a determination and issue a new order to remove the guardian and appoint a new one.

Do You Need a Lawyer to Contest a Guardianship or Conservatorship?

Courts have many rules and procedures that can make it difficult for nonlawyers to represent themselves. In guardianship or conservatorship proceedings, the stakes are high. As an interested party, you want to make sure that you have an opportunity to be heard by the judge and present any evidence that will lead to a determination that is in the best interests of the incapacitated person. If you are in this situation, contact our firm for help. We have extensive experience with guardianship matters and can guide you through the process. 


Have Questions?

Contact us to schedule your free consultation.

* indicates required fields


Smith Legacy Law:
Your Lawyers For Life

Recent Posts

What Are the Different Types of Asset Protection Trusts?

Asset protection trusts are typically used to protect assets from creditors or reduce income or estate taxes. As discussed in our post What Is an Asset Protection Trust?, such trusts are not right for every situation. Further, there are different types of asset...

What Is an Asset Protection Trust?

An asset protection trust is a vehicle for protecting your assets during your lifetime. While it can offer numerous benefits, asset protection trusts are typically only used in limited situations because the person creating the trust (the grantor) loses control over...

How to Protect Your Assets from Your Stepchildren

We’ve all heard stories about evil stepmothers, but what about evil stepchildren? Second marriages, especially when one or more parties have children from a prior relationship, come with unique concerns about inheritance. However, you can mitigate many of these issues...

Choosing a Guardian for Your Children

Your children mean the world to you and the last thing you probably want to think about is what would happen to them if you were gone. Choosing who will be the guardian of your minor children is likely one of the hardest but most important decisions you will make as a...